Our Systematic Synthetic Phonics Programme – we use Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Phonics Programme.
Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised is a SSP programme that has been developed by Little Sutton and Wandle English Hubs and taken forward by Little Sutton Primary School and Wandle Learning Trust in partnership with other phonics and early reading experts.
Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised has been built around the DfE requirements for a successful SSP as well as drawing on the latest research into how children learn best, how to ensure learning stays in children’s long-term memory and how best to enable children to apply their learning to become highly competent readers.
How does it work?
Seven key features have been identified by the English Hub and wider research as characterising phonics teaching in highly successful schools, no matter which validated programme is being used. These are:
• direct teaching in frequent, short bursts
• consistency of approach
• secure, systematic progression in phonics learning
• maintaining pace of learning
• providing repeated practice
• application of phonics using matched decodable books
• early identification of children at risk of falling behind, linked to the provision of effective keep-up support.
We aim to ensure the effective teaching of systematic synthetic phonics by applying those 7 principles throughout our teaching of early reading.
For more detailed information please click on the Phonics & Early Reading Policy below: